Pre Conference Questions
- (1a) How do the lesson concepts fit within the scope of the discipline?
- (1b) How do you become familiar with the diversity (culture, learning styles, interest, special needs, etc.) of students in your class?
How do you use knowledge of the diversity in your classroom in planning instruction for students to be successful in reaching the learning goal(s) of the lesson?
- (1c) How does your lesson objective connect to prior lessons and future learning expectations?
- (1c) What do you want students to know and be able to do as a result of this lesson?
- (1d) What resources will you utilize to enhance this lesson? How will these instructional resources help you achieve the learning goals for the lesson?
- (1e) Describe the structure of your lesson. How do you use the materials, methods, and activities to differentiate instruction for students to achieve the learning outcomes?
How will you actively engage ALL students in the learning process?
Describe and explain the various groupings of students throughout the lesson.
- (1f) What methods of assessment (formative/summative) will you use to determine whether ALL students have mastered the learning goals?
How will you use assessment data to plan for future instruction?
- Is there anything else I need to know about the lesson?
Formative Evaluation/ Self-Assessment
- There is a set of criteria from 1a-1f.
- There is a rubic gauging these criteria from unsatisfactory-distinguished.
- The principle goes over these criteria with the teacher in a conference and assesses their performance.
- Link to form: http://www.arkansased.org/public/userfiles/HR_and_Educator_Effectiveness/TESS/TESS%20Evaluation%20Forms/AR%20TESS%20Teacher%20Formative%20Self%20Assessment%20Evaluation%20080513.doc
Post Conference Questions
- How would you describe today’s lesson?
- (4a) What evidence is there that students did or did not learn the goals of the lesson?
- (4a) What do samples of student work show about students’ levels of engagement and understanding during the lesson?
- (4a) If you had the opportunity to work with the same students on this lesson again, what would you do the same? What would you do differently?
- (4b) Please share your system for recording student assessment results.
- (4b) Describe the system you have established to maintain your records of formative and summative assessments.
- (4b/4c) How do you provide feedback on assessments for students and/or families? Share your record system to support that feedback.
- (4b) What role do your students have in maintaining their own records of learning? How do your students determine their learning status from records and communicate this to their families?
- (4c) How do you communicate with parents/guardians? How do they respond to your communications?
- (4c) How do you address the concerns of parents/guardians during the school year?
- (4c) Please describe the roles that families have in your classroom? What methods do you use to encourage family involvement?
- (4c) How do your students participate in conversations with their families and with you, e.g., student led conferences?
- (4d) How have you worked with colleagues on learning activities this year? Please describe some successes and areas for improvement for that collaboration.
- (4d) What influence has your professional learning experience had on your instruction this year? Describe some specific examples of change resulting from professional learning.
Professional Growth Plan
- There is a professional growth plan PowerPoint available online
- Link: http://www.arkansased.org/public/userfiles/HR_and_Educator_Effectiveness/TESS/TESS%20Professional%20Growth%20Plans/PGP_Illustrated.pdf